Next up on our "meeting the team" segment is Sumitra, owner of bloom Sioux Falls. Sumitra has been in the wedding and event industry for 14+ years and her floral arrangements will make you swoon. You can read more about Sumitra's past work here. Her website gives an excellent bio, but naturally, I wanted to know more. Here are some more details about Uptown's amazing florist, Sumitra.
1. You're from Australia (her beautiful accent doesn't give it away at all), when and why did you decide to come to Sioux Falls, SD?
I've been in the US on and off for the last 20 years. I moved to Sioux Falls because a friend of mine in the business told me there was a lot of weddings here and the town was growing…so I took a chance.
2. You make gorgeous flower arrangements, bouquets, etc., what is your favorite flower and why?
My favourite flower is a peony, they're so feminine and they smell delicious. They only bloom for about six weeks out of the year, they are a little elusive, that is probably why I like them.
3. What is your least favorite flower, or, what flower is difficult to work with?
I love all flowers in their element. If there's one I am not particularly fond of I use it in a way that doesn't highlight that flower. It's all about perspective.
4. What is the hardest part about being in the floral industry?
Getting flowers that are not naturally in season can be tricky. I've had to charter a private plane in once or twice to fly flowers in. At the end of the day it's all about making my brides happy so I will do whatever it takes.
5. How did you meet the rest of the team, who did you meet first?
I met Jason Jonas first; we met on a photo shoot for Dainty Obsessions and just clicked. He's incredibly talented and we worked well together. Then I met Megan at a bridal show (also by Dainty Obsessions) and we started talking; we had the same ideas for starting a co-op, it was fate! Lastly, I met Dan through Jason and liked him immediately, I am glad to be working on weddings with such talent!
If you are looking for the perfect floral arrangements, bloom Sioux Falls is the place to go, you can find Sumitra's contact info here.